Food

Food

Monday 23 January 2017

Sake Jr

With its long lines, all of the hype, and the reputation of its mother, I had high hopes going into Sake Jr! But what I was met with was a meal that I thought was just 'ok'.

Set across two levels with an abundance of seating, Sake Jr serves up Asian inspired  bowls which are along the lines of a 'choose your own adventure'. You first pick is your base, which is a choice between rice, salad or bao - then you get to choose your protein - with options along the lines of popcorn shrimp and crispy sesame soy pork. To finish it off, you get to top your bowl off with a variety of vegetables, garnishes and sauces.

On this occasion I ordered the brown rice bowl, with raw tuna and avocado as the protein, sprouts, corn, bok choy and blistered beans as my vegies and Japanese salad dressing as my sauce. Unfortunately, after patiently waiting in line for 10-15 minutes, all of the vats of proteins were definitely on the sparse side and, rather than Sake Jr filling these up, I was served a couple of tiny chunks of tuna with no avocado. The dish was also very dry - sitting on their upper level, we didn't realise they had all of the sauces they had on offer downstairs which the bowls definitely needed.



With its super friendly staff, and unique (well at least in this part of the city) lunch concept - is sake Jr worth the lining up - at the moment I'm not sure I'm convinced, but I'd be willing to give it another try.


Food: 2.5/5
Service: 3/5
Venue: 3/5
Total: 8.5/15
 Verdict: like - get around to trying it at some point
 
555 Bourke Street, Melbourne CBD

Saké Jr Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment